Learn Centering Prayer with a Trained Presenter
We’ve found that the best way to learn Centering Prayer is in a workshop with like-minded people. COUK has a number of trained Presenters who will visit your group or parish to introduce you to the method and some of the basic teaching of Thomas Keating. Get in touch with us to organise an Introductory Day and we’ll guide you through the process.
How to Arrange
Centering Prayer workshops are transformational rather than devotional or informational. Most often they lead to a deepening commitment to prayer which can have a significant influence on a faith community.
If you wish to hold an Introductory Day in the first instance contact Contemplative Outreach UK by email or letter.
What Contemplative Outreach offers…
- An established Centering Prayer Programme, experientially developed over many years in churches, parishes and places of prayer, internationally
- Step by step guidance on setting up a workshop, by personal consultations with a workshop coordinator and by materials developed by Contemplative Outreach UK
- Workshop presenters and small group facilitators trained by Contemplative Outreach UK where possible or via support from the Head Office.
- Publicity material. Examples of Pamphlets, flyers, posters, handouts, and bulletin announcements with your workshop information.
- Mailing lists of attendees of previous workshops and those who’ve expressed interest, if available.
- Books, DVDs, CDs and instructional materials to support the practice of Centering Prayer.
- Networking with other Centering Prayer events and other Centering Prayer Groups.
What the host offers…
- Support and openness to an on going Centering Prayer Program.
- Room for workshop, and the intention of providing ongoing Centering Prayer sessions/meetings using the materials as prescribed by Contemplative Outreach.
- Publicity support such as a special mailing of brochures, distribution of leaflets, notices in bulletins and newsletters.
- If available, volunteers to prepare and send out announcement mailings, help prepare the workshop facility and offer hospitality at the workshop.
- Ideally, a leadership team advised by Contemplative Outreach, to help establish the ongoing Centering Prayer Programes.
For hosting The Introduction to Centering Prayer we rely on contributions from workshop participants and ideally, a contribution from the organization hosting the workshop. The support of more fortunate organisations is of significant help in offsetting our administrative costs. All our presenters and administrators work are unpaid volunteers.
Scholarships to workshops are always offered upon request.
Workshop participant contribution
A suggested contribution is asked of participants. For a complete seven session introduction which includes the all day workshop and six weekly sessions – Even if Contemplative Outreach or the place of prayer wishes to subsidize participants, we encourage participants’ contributions as it conveys a sense of commitment. However, scholarships are always available upon request.
Presenter and Facilitator
For the all day workshop, paid travel expenses are expected for the Workshop Presenter. Facilitators of the weekly sessions generally volunteer their services, with significant travel expenses covered.
A Contribution to Contemplative Outreach
Contemplative Outreach requests a contribution for its consulting and coordinating services, so that the work of Contemplative Outreach UK may continue.
A Typical Introductory Day’s Programme
10.00.am Registration and orientations.
10:15 First Talk: Prayer as Relationship.
11:00 Coffee Break
11:30 Second Talk: The Method of Centering Prayer.
12: 00 pm 2-minute stretch break
12:02 Centering Prayer Period.
- 30 LUNCH BREAK
1:30 pm Third talk: Use of the Sacred Word.
2: 05 2-minute stretch break.
2:07 Centering Prayer Period.
2:30 Tea Break
3:00 Question and answer session
4.00 FINAL PRAYER AND DEPARTURE